Home COMMUNITY Ballymoney teen representing North Antrim as Youth MP

Ballymoney teen representing North Antrim as Youth MP

Elected back in February, Ballymoney’s Lauren Bond, at only 15, became the Youth MP for North Antrim.

On a recent trip to Hull University, she attended the UK Youth Parliament’s 22nd Annual Conference, where Lauren, alongside the other Youth MPs, had their chance to vote on policies that form the Youth Parliament’s national campaign.

After attending the event, Lauren said: “Hundreds of Youth MPs from Scotland, Wales, England and Northern Ireland came together to vote for change and ensure the voices of the young people they represent were heard.

There was a range of guest speakers from Sir Lindsay Hoyle virtually opening the conference to Lloyd Russel-Moyle MP, informing us about his time as a Youth MP and his journey to becoming an MP.”

Describing her time at the conference, she said: “The weekend consisted of voting on policies related to a variety of topics, from mental health to current issues such as cost of living.”

The young aspiring politician also had her chance to put forward her own policy.

“It was an honour to present my policy on Mandatory Autism Training and Teaching across the UK, which I’m pleased to announce passed by an amazing 93%,” the North Antrim Youth MP said.

“Policy motions were discussed and debated, and so it was an amazing opportunity to voice my opinion and the opinions of those who I represent. I was also incredibly fortunate to present my policy on making the teaching of Northern Ireland History mandatory across the UK, which also passed with 73% of Youth MPs agreeing.

I now have two active campaigns that I can’t wait to get to work on! The highlight of the weekend was representing Northern Ireland and serving as a voice for North Antrim at a national event. It was incredible to discuss and compare issues facing young people with other Youth MPs from across the UK.

“I have one more policy on disability first aid that I hope to find the results of in the coming days. I can’t wait to start campaigning over the next two years to deliver meaningful change for young people. I’ve enjoyed meeting with various organisations this year and continue to meet with MLAs to discuss my campaigns. I’ve been honoured to be invited to many events, hustings and meetings this year and am excited for the opportunities to come.

“I am also a member of the Northern Ireland Youth Assembly and am currently International Officer for Secondary Student’s Union, Northern Ireland.”