Home COMMUNITY Zachary's memory lives on as new chapter OPENS for trust

Zachary's memory lives on as new chapter OPENS for trust

‘You are all Superstars’

A new chapter is to soon begin for the Zachary Geddis Break The Silence Trust (ZGBTST), with the opening of new premises for the charity.

Zachary Geddis tragically took his own life due to his struggles with his mental health while away at University in 2017, issues that he had suffered with since aged just 16.

Not wanting Zachary’s death to be in vain, just 7 months after his passing, his sister Yasmin along with their parents Terry & Louise bravely established the trust in his name and memory.

ZGBTST aims to bring more awareness to the community of Northern Ireland surrounding the topic of Mental Health and decrease the stigma surrounding Suicide.

Since setting up the trust, Yasmin has become a mental health mentor & speaker, telling Zachery’s story and running various workshops.

Often this has meant hiring venues, working in the community and even having to meet in for one-on-one’s in local coffee shops.

So it became apparent to Yasmin that the ZGBTST has now out grown its old space since being established just over two years ago.

“It had become apparent to me, that not only do the vulnerable people within our community need privacy but many were wishing I was hosting the mental health and wellbeing workshops, instead of outside groups.”

Going on to talk about some of the work she has done over the past year, Yasmin continued;

“After spending the majority of 2019 as a mental health speaker being invited to various colleges, work places, community groups and schools I gained the knowledge that my workshops made a difference to peoples lives.”

When it came to the new unit and it’s potential, Yasmin told the Ballymoney Bubble;

“I signed the lease on my new premises which has the opportunity to grow into something that is not currently available within our area.

“It has not only a workshop space, but a personal office, an upstairs and a separate room for my private sessions.”

“The space itself will host weekly workshops for Children, Teenagers and Adults.”

Despite only having recently been handed the keys to the new premises, Yasmin already has big plans for the future .

“I have the dream of it being fully equiped with a consulation room and counselling room which is open for drop in’s 24/7- providing those who would normally be sent home awaiting an appointment with the crisis team to a safe haven.

“The ZGBTST Unit is a place of safety, education and rehabiliation and caters to those bereaved, suffering or wishing to expand their own mental health knowledge to in turn, help others.

An official open date hasn’t yet been set for the unit, but Yasmin would be keen to have it up and running soon. Of course it has to be ready and fit for purpose, a task which hasn’t and won’t be easy.

Telling us what’s still needs to be done, Yasmin listed the following jobs to be completed;

“The unit currently needs plastering (skimmed), fully carpeted, tiles lifted, electrics and heating fixed.”

Financing all this herself, the work and the opening of the unit is surely a huge struggle and responsibility. BUT this is where you come in!

Yasmin Geddis with the keys to the charity new premises.

Do you have a spare few hours a week to spare ore perhaps your a tradesperson who can donate a little time and or resources?

Then please get in touch with Yasmin at the trust’s Facebook Page or email yasmin@zacharygeddisbreakthesilencetrust.org