Home COMMUNITY Zero waste & refill shop to open in Ballymoney

Zero waste & refill shop to open in Ballymoney

Pressure on reducing plastic waste, in particular food packaging, is seen as the major issue of our modern age. But could a new Ballymoney business coming soon have the answer?

There has been an increasing number of ‘Zero Waste’ shops opening throughout the UK including one in Belfast which open during the summer and more recently ‘The Larder’ at The Raceview Mill in Broughshane.

BUT a new Ballymoney business is set to open on Church Street in the former premises of ‘Sues Wool Shop’, and will do their bit in reducing food packaging, by encouraging customers to reuse their own containers to fill with various food stuff and household products.

A sign in the window, handwritten on cardboard in keeping with the new businesses ‘zero waste’ ethos, reads; ‘Coming soon, plastic free refill & scoop shopping @ The Balanced Pantry’.

The Ballymoney Bubble spoke to the new owner of The Balanced Pantry who hopes to open by mid November.

Posting on their Facebook page, the new owner said;

“So this has been a dream of mine for quite awhile now and has taken a bit of planning, but I’m finally at the stage of getting my zero waste and refill shop in Ballymoney off the ground!

“There’s some work to do before we can get opened, but get collecting your refillable containers, ready for visiting The Balanced Pantry to stock up on all sorts of foods and household products all packaging free! Exciting times ahead”

Recent research had said that;

‘Since large scale plastic production began in the 1950s, over 8 billion tonnes of new plastics have been manufactured globally, over half of which has ended its life discarded in landfill or the environment.’

A statement which is most likely already out of date with the problem having got worse.