Detectives are appealing for information and witnesses following two burglaries in the Lisnablagh Road, Coleraine.
Sometime between 10.15am and 5.00pm on Thursday, 4 January two dwellings were entered. It does not appear that anything has been stolen in either burglary.
Detective Sergeant Kelly Gallagher said: “I would appeal to anyone who noticed any suspicious activity or vehicles in the area between 10.15am and 5.00pm yesterday, to contact Detectives at Coleraine on the non-emergency number 101, quoting reference numbers 946 and 966 04/01/18. Alternatively, information can also be provided to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, which is 100% anonymous and gives people the power to speak up and stop crime.
Detective Sergeant Gallagher continued: “We are aware of the impact that burglaries can have on individual householders. Don’t make it easy for them, stay alert to your surroundings and report anything suspicious to police immediately. It is important to ensure you always lock your doors and windows at night and when leaving the house to secure those high value items.
“We will continue with our regular anti-burglary patrols and are encouraging everyone to report suspicious activity to us – no matter how insignificant it may seem, the report of a suspicious vehicle or people acting strangely in your neighbourhood can help us to prevent and detect crime. We would like all of you to help us spread the message. Talk to your family and neighbours about the top ten tips and the simple measures you can take to make your home more secure. Domestic burglary has been and will remain a priority for us.
“If you would like further advice on home security you can contact your local Crime Prevention Officer on 101.”
Top ten tips to beat the burglar!
1. Close and lock all doors and windows even if you are only going out for a few minutes.
2. Leave a light on if it will be dark before you get home. Consider security lights. To a burglar a dark house is an empty house.
3. Keep your valuables out of sight.
4. Cancel milk or other deliveries if you will be away from home.
5. Don’t leave car keys near your door, letterbox or windows.
6. Always check who is at the door. Not sure? Don’t open the door.
7. Set your alarm when going out. If you do not have an alarm consider installing one.
8. Ask a neighbour or a friend to check your property and to remove post from the porch/hallway.
9. Inform police if your house is to be vacant for any length of time.
10. Always keep sheds and outbuildings locked and secure ladders.