Home COMMUNITY Ballymoney neighbours Alicia & Rodger keep spirits up with their Sunday sing...

Ballymoney neighbours Alicia & Rodger keep spirits up with their Sunday sing alongs

Retired secondary teacher Alicia Duncan and her neighbour Rodger Goodliffe, have started a new weekly tradition each Sunday with a sing along outside their Ballymoney homes.

Mrs Duncan, who lost her husband last year, is an accomplished piano player & organist. Each Sunday she sits outside her home along with Mr Goodliffe who plays clarinet, entertaining their neighbours who gather outside their own homes to take part.

Alicia taking about how the weekly event at 2:30pm each Sunday ‘cheers everyone up’, the retired teacher went on to tell the Diocese of Connor website:

“It was the brainchild of my neighbour Roger, who is also retired. He came out onto his lawn for a few Sundays with his clarinet, and we would all gather round – from a safe distance – and sing along to his playing.

“Then he suggested I play the piano. I didn’t have a keyboard, so Roger got one for me and now we play as a duet for about three quarters of an hour.”

Speaking about the song choices, Ms Duncan said: “Roger normally selects a theme in advance. They are not hymns. Although some of the children like to sing songs they have learned in Sunday School. On previous Sundays we have had Frank Sinatra, Irish Songs and Disney songs.

“I enjoy it, I think it cheers people up in the situation we are in.”

For more information on the Diocese of Connor, click here.